Sunday, May 22, 2011

Music to My Ears

Prior to leaving, many had told me that the traffic and roadways in India, is for lack of a better word, nuts. "Dont look at the road!" "Its crazy mad!" "The drivers are nuts!"-people said. And upon my first arrival to the city of Calcutta, I might've believed them. However, after a few short days I have come to realize that what others call madness is really quite beautiful. The roads here are like a symphony, a well constructed melancholy of sounds that provide an atmosphere full of suspense. Here, instead of following the "rules" of the road, the people drive or bike or pull others with their own rules and rythym. In fact, the street signs and speed limits mean almost nothing. There are no lanes, no incessant traffic cops or anyone or thing trying to control the traffic. Although seemingly dangerous, such tools of control are not necessary. I would be slightly saddened if the traffic were to change. People (mostly men) use their horns as a way to communicate. The drivers have dialogue with horns, hey sir move over, you there I'm on the left, turn!, get out of the way pedestrians, and so forth. It really is quite amazing how it works here. Once a person learns these things, they can become a skilled driver in Calcutta. Mirrors become unnecessary, thats what honks and beeps are for; even people on bicycles and rickshaws follow the communication between the cars and motorbikes. And not once did I see or hear of any road accidents. Thank you Calcutta for showing me a new art form, something beautiful and unique to the rest of the world.
Today we saw one of Calcutta's greatest monuments, the Queen Victoria Memorial. It was built in Brittish times to welcome the queen and to offer her a place to stay while visiting. The thing is HUGE. If someone built that for me upon visiting, I would never leave. That or I would visit every country to have such a monument in my name all over the world...jokes! It truly is a sight to see. Yet, what might have been more entertaining was the attention I myself was getting. I'm not use to any attention, and while I was expecting it, it was a bit shocking to deal with at first. Without even entering the grounds I was already a spectacle. The starring I expected, but the videotaping and photography I did not. I couldnt walk more than 10 feet without being photographed. Now, I really I have no problems with it, its actually quite funny. I have complex feelings about the adoration of white skin. I know that its something I will face everywhere I go here, but it still makes me uneasy. We are all human beings, regardless of what color we are, what religion we practice or who we love, let us not forget that. Human beings whom deserve a set of basic rights, despite any so-called difference one may point out.
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment