Monday, May 23, 2011

CODA, its whats for breakfast

As many people may know, I am extremely proud to be a CODA (child of deaf adults). It has made who I am today and the person I will continue to grow into. Living partially in the Deaf world has afforded me many life opportunities and experiences not many people are fortunate enough to have. Today, being a CODA and fluent in sign language saved my life...well, not exactly that dramatic, that was just fun to say.

Originally the owner of my hostel was supposed to arrange a ride for me from the airport to the hostel, which didnt exactly work out. After being instructed to take a police taxi, which does not mean a police car, but rather a toy car that's on its last life. And considering I only know 5 words in Hindi and most of them are swear words, communicating with a driver that didn't speak English was going to be a bit tricky. Once I was at the metro station the owner promised to come pick me up...so I waited....and waited...oh, and waited some more....no show. Just as this creepy old man was giving me the eye while moving towards me blowing a balloon, I saw two men speaking sign language!

BINGO BANGO! They were speaking Indian sign language, but by the grace of Buddha, we were able to communicate. I got access to a phone and a ride to the hostel. See kids, moral of the story, either get Deaf parents or learn sign language...or both! It might just save your life.

1 comment:

  1. You need to tell our kids these things. Now. We'll fly you back for a one-week seminar. It will save OUR lives...

    ReplyDelete