Thursday, May 26, 2011

Buddah Buddah Buddah

At a younger age (basically anytime in my life before these last two weeks), I always thought of Buddhism as some silly joke, a thing only Asians did (ahh childhood ignorance), that it wasn't really a religion but rather this strange way of life. Buddhists were always novelties in movies, usually portrayed as dutiful monks who sometimes turned into karate crime fighting machines. But could you really blame me? Who was I to know that what was portrayed on the TV and in Hollywood wasn't actually true? That, was not one of one of the many rules our elementary school teachers taught us. Or if they did, its pretty much guaranteed that I was NOT paying attention.
As I've said before many times, ignorance is not bliss, it is unnecessary and unfortunate. How quickly I've learned that Buddhism is not what I once thought it was. Rather, it is a vast collection of knowledge, spirituality and humility, a land left uncharted for this writer. While in Delhi I had the privilege of visiting Akshardham, a Hindu temple located in a desert-type location on the outskirts of the city. Although it was a Hindu temple, a fraction of the writings surrounding the temple were of Buddah and some of his mantras. Whilst reading an inscription on the wall, "the world has plenty for every man's needs, but nothing for his greed," I got goosebumps. As I continued to read the other inscriptions, the goosebumps intensified, and I just got this feeling that I can't really describe. I hate to sound so cliche, but its true. It was at that moment that I knew that Buddhism or at least some humble form of spirituality, might be the path for me. Not to mention I am SO doing yoga at school when I get back, I don't care how trendy it makes me look.
Throughout my trip I've been having smaller moments of profound thought, spiritual in a sense. We'll see where this journey takes me, but I have a feeling I'm headed in a positive direction.
So far I've been struggling internally with the rampant poverty and my inability to help. Not to mention the confusion of where to begin. India is such a beautiful country, rich with variant culture, colors, lifestyles, religions, and of course, food. The people here are something else, it as if western life has affected them, but only in the slightest. Materialistic trends run profusely in the middle to upper classes, while the entire caste system still has a genuine familial groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment