Monday, June 13, 2011

Filipina Style

Here in the Philippines, things are different. That probably sounds redundant, but it bears repeating. The culture varies all throughout the Philippines with different dialects, ways of life and specific foods. But there are a plethora of things that remain the same; Filipino time (Filipinos move at their own pace, regardless of what the meeting time may be, they arrive when they want to arrive and they leave whenever they see fit), eating (Filipinos eat at least 5 times a day without fail, every aspect of their culture involves eating and drinking in some way, now what's wrong with that?), bluntness (they say whats on their mind or what they see, its not meant to be rude, but just the way they are. The other day the family and I talked about the virginity of all their family members, so openly like we were discussing the weather) and most importantly (there are plenty more), the love for music (karaoke is their jam, always singing and playing music) their open hearts and minds. It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, the Filipino people are willing to help you in any way and are more than willing to open their hearts and homes to you as well.

While walking down the street the other day, nearly every person I passed said hello and most of them wanted to engage in a conversation. I was greeted by smiles everywhere. What a nice feeling that is, to be instantly welcome, without prejudice or judgement. Keep in mind I've only just arrived here a few days ago but already the extended family of my home stay treats me like one of their own. Last night there was a birthday party for "baby boy" and despite my lack of Waray Waray (their dialect here), it was like I fit right in. They kept offering me food and drink, I've been invited to the family farm, and next week we're going to the beach! I couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome. I was quickly informed though, that this is how it is everywhere in the Philippines. It doesn't matter how much or how little money a family has, they'll give you what they have regardless. Which I must admit is a bit awkward feeling at times. Every time I'm given something, I want to give it back, or give something in return. The people in my Barangay (village) have nothing but they're the happiest people alive.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Alyssa,

    So happy to read that things are going well so far. Your host family sounds great. Can't wait to learn more about the school where you'll be working
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete