Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chubby Pineapple

To be honest, I always thought it was a bit odd when people ordered "hawaiian pizzas", putting pineapple on pizza?! Are you out of your mind??? That was the past and this is the present, although I may not agree to pineapple on pizza, I do agree with the pineapple and pork combination. An even better combination is actually pineapple (or I'm sure most sweeter fruits would work) and *pure pork fat. Talk about turning pineapple dangerous. Here in the Philippines, people like their food fried; it doesn't matter what it is, it'll probably be fried. Now, they really are on to something...have you ever eaten something fried that wasn't delicious? Okay, fried crickets aren't my favorite, I'll admit it, but still...

For dinner tonight we had thinly sliced fried pork with every ounce of fat left on it. There was no meticulous trimming involved...why waste part of the animal? Oh no, when the Filipinos eat meat, they eat it all, ESPECIALLY the fat. The two pieces I was served were about 60% meat and 40% pure fat. I must admit, at first I strayed away from the fatty sides, but my host father insisted that I eat them. In an attempt to be respectful, I did. MMMMMMMM DELICIOUS! I was in pork heaven. Succulent strips of white fatty fried goodness awaited my trembling chews. But little did I know my next move would surprise my taste buds even more. Out of pure instinct I decided to add some of the pork fat to my slices of pineapple meant for dessert. Now THAT is the way to eat. There's something about the sugary and acidic pineapple mixed with the succulent fried to perfection fat that should be in every cookbook. It was like eating the most sweet AND savory dessert I've ever had. Don't knock it till you try it, or you'll be sorry.

To whomever invented the "Hawaiian" pizza, I commend you in your efforts, however you were close, but no cigar.

Up until now I always though that the American South had the only true knack for making fried chicken. Crispy yet airy, just the right amount of grease, and of course a well-raised chicken who's diet consisted of natural seed and grass, not that chemical stuff. Sure the English have had their attempts at perfecting one of America's all-time favorite foods, but they can never get it just right. BUT, as I am *almost embarrassed to say, the Filipinos got us beat. And they don't even use buttermilk! I dont know what their secret ingredient(s) is, but I'm determined to find out! The fried chicken here is OUT OF THIS WORLD. I don't even usually indulge in the cardiac arrest bird, but here, you have to. Fried chicken stands are everywhere you turn. There is no commercial giant controlling the fried chicken trade, but rather tiny little pop-up stands manned by one person serving out the best chicken you can get your hands on. What may have to do with it is that all of the chickens here are locally raised. Not to mention they're organic, like more than USDA organic, they're Tacloban organic (Portlandia anyone?). Now normally I'm a big crust fan, the more crispy outside the better. But here such crust doesn't exist, but its still very good!

1 comment: